Strong drum beats, hip shimmies laden with bells and voices coming together in song. This show has it all. Presenting "Dance + Diaspora" two performances this Friday and Saturday -- pics above are from the dress rehearsal -- by choreographers Jill Parker (with her Foxglove Sweethearts troupe) and Tania Santiago (with her Movendo con Capoeira troupe) -- a showcase of steamy belly dancing and heart-pumping Capoeria.
The belly dance performance includes solos, but is a mainly a group dance, with multiple belly rolls and wrist rotations happening in unison by all the dancers. Their piece also includes live music, like some pretty great clarinet and double-reeded zurna tunes. After intermission, the mood shifts and takes you to Brazil, for an energizing Capoeira piece, mixing both incredible acrobatics and traditional Afro-Brazilian folk dance. The show as a whole is a wonderful combination of music and dance, creating a true cultural dance experience.
Dance + Diaspora, Fri/22 and Sat/23
A taste of Jill Parker and the Foxglove Sweethearts
Most Commented On
- If Zuckman makes only $850 a month then why is he in SF? - May 22, 2013
- If money didn't matter, people wouldn't want it. - May 22, 2013
- You won't be assaulted for doing drugs unless you - May 22, 2013
- Most of America thinks RC is stupid - it's illegal in 30 States - May 22, 2013
- Of course I live in Portland, - May 22, 2013
- Agree, and the Left loves to FORCE people to give money. - May 22, 2013
- Drugs are illegal; it's that simple. - May 22, 2013
- Greg, you have it the wrong way about. - May 22, 2013
- I'll give you three exampels of that - May 22, 2013
- It's not marginal costs that count. - May 22, 2013